Pages

Monday, April 12, 2010

The Tale of a Wide-Angle Lens

This spring break was a good one. It began with my dad giving me his father's old lenses - manual-focus ones that had last been used in the '70s. Not a bad way for a young photographer to start a vacation. During the week, I fell in love with a wide-angle lens, a type I had never used before. It was perfect for where my family and I went camping - the beautiful Sierra Ancha near Young, Arizona. It is a place that makes you feel small, an effect captured by the wide-angle.


My parents and our dog show the scale of the looming Sierra Ancha.



My dad enjoyed the view from the edge of a bluff overlooking Roosevelt Lake. The lake is full for the first time in years.



My parents huddled around the campfire on the chilly spring nights.



This cliff, located on a nearly inaccessible gravel road, holds a secret. Ruins of Native American cliff dwellings are tucked underneath a rock overhang hundreds of feet up. After a tough climb, my dad and I made it to the top and saw them for ourselves.





This is the view from the top. My worried mom and our dog waited patiently at the bottom to welcome us back down to earth.