Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Shangri-La?

This weekend, my parents and I fled the 110-degree heat of the Valley for the refuge of our ten acres in Vernon, AZ (near Show Low). We spent the weekend mountain biking, hiking and in my case, making photographs.




My dad had a great time fishing for trout in the west fork of the Black River. A flat, easy and breathtakingly beautiful hiking and mountain biking trail runs parallel to the river for about three miles.











































A Lupine Blue butterfly stood still long enough for me to snap a few photos of it.



Large, black ants (I'm unsure of the species) invaded this blooming yucca plant, evidently for the nectar.















































Our trailer at 9:30 p.m., silhouetted by ponderosas and the night sky. This is a 30-second exposure.
















A Morning Cloak butterfly seemed eager to be photographed and showed little fear, even as I moved within two feet of it.



My mom and our dog, Harpo, at the Black River.















































A mountain chickadee atop a juniper tree in the early-morning light.